MPs by Year Group   Constitution   MP Duties   About Us   Photo Gallery
 
Full MP Details
 

Azumah-Mensah, Juliana

Constituency: Agotime Ziope
Region: Volta Region
Party: NDC
Occupation/Profession: Medical Doctor/Nurse/Health Worker
Parliamentary Seat: majority

Date of Birth: June 15, 1950

Hometown: Agotime –Kpetoe, Volta Region

Highest Education: MSc. (Health Administration and Planning), Birmingham University, UK, 1977.

Profession: Nursing

Last Employment: Executive Secretary. Department of Health, Ho Catholic Diocese; MP (January, 2005 to date 3rd term).

Marital Status: Married (with two children)

Votes Obtained: 14,485 votes out of the 18,382 valid votes cast = 78.80%.Others Yaoga Sunu (NDP) = 1,935 = 10.53%, David Dickson Dzorkpe (NPP) 1,721 = 9.36% and Sakpa Yao Kuma DOnkor (CPP) 241=1.31%.

 

 Cultural Heritage And Customs

 
Ethnicity and Religion
The Agotime-Ziope constituency has two major Traditional Areas including the Agotime and Ziope Paramouncies. The Agotimes are traditionally Dangmes who have migrated to their present location from Ada areas. Their native language is Dangme which is still widely spoken in Agotime Communities. The Ziope Traditional Area consists of Ewes from Anlos and the Avenors. 
 
Christianity is predominantly the major religion in the constituency constituting about 70% of the population whilst the other religions like the Muslims and Traditionalists constitute the remaining 30% of the population.
 
The main festival celebrated by the people of Kpetoe (the constituency capital) is the Kente/ ‘Kete’ festival. This is normally called “Agbamevor za”. This a weeklong festival celebrated in September every year to showcase the traditional skills of the Agotimes in kente weaving. Thus, making the constituency very famous for hand-woven of beautiful and colourful cloth locally called Kente/‘Kete’. This industry continues to attract tourists from all over the world to the constituency. 
 
Location & Size:
Agotime-Ziope constituency is bordered by the Republic of Togo to the East; Akatsi North and Central Tongu Districts to the South and the Adaklu District to the West and North. The constituency covers a total land area of about Six Hundred and Thirty-Seven kilometres square (637km2)
 
Climate & Vegetation
Climate
The constituency has a mean monthly temperature ranging between 22°C and 32°C in the rainy season. However, average temperature during the dry season is 37°C. Rainfall pattern in the constituency is characterised by two rainy seasons commonly referred to as the major and minor seasons. The major season starts from Mid-March to July while the minor from August to November. The dry season, which is dominated by the dry harmattan winds, extends from December to February in the constituency. The mean annual rainfall of the constituency ranges between 20.1mm and 192mm. The highest rainfall occurs in June and has mean value of 192mm while the lowest rainfall is in December recording a value of 20.1mm.
 
Vegetation
The major vegetation cover in the constituency is savannah woodland. However, few areas along river banks of Tordzie, and Awator have semi-deciduous forest. There are also strands of borassius spicies (Agorti) used for construction works. The borassius palm serves as economic tree for most people.
 
Geology & Soil
Soils
There are three major soil groups in the constituency.
Forest soil - Forest ochrosols,  lethosols and  intergrades.
Savannah soil - Heavy clay soil found in Ziope and Kpetoe
Stony soil found in some parts of Kpetoe.
River Todze eventually flows into Avu Lagoon. Other rivers include Kplikpa, Afortsihlui and Dzokple at Ziope. Tsilale at Kpetoe and Wlowlo at Afegame. None of these rivers is perennial. During the dry season, the water levels reduce and some dry up completely. The rivers do not therefore provide all year round dependable sources of water supply to the communities they serve. They are by no means capable of supporting irrigation.
 

Currently no Photos available

© Copyright 2010 . All rights reserved. | Privacy & Disclaimer